November 10, 2012

Inspiration for Writing

Music inspires me.
Reading inspires me.
I write better when it rains.
I'm more thoughtful when it storms.

One thing that truly sat with me throughout the entire time I wrote LIGHT OF THE MOON was T.S. Eliot's poem The Waste Land. I had a class on Eliot in college in which we read TWL and discussed it until we were blue in the face, but I never focused on it the way I did while writing my story. It begins:

"April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain."

I was captivated not only by the meaning of the words Eliot used, but by the way they are woven together. I love their melody. I love the way Eliot created something that can be looked at many different ways and discussed forever. A true poem should not have one meaning, but thousands.

I love this reading done by Fiona Shaw (aka the woman who played Mrs. Dursley in the Harry Potter films). She reads a snippet of Eliot's The Waste Land, and it's actually this snippet that first caught my attention. If you've read LIGHT OF THE MOON, you'll recognize that the city of Ashfall reflects much of what Shaw reads here:



Check out the city of Ashfall in LIGHT OF THE MOON
and read all about Kate and Calum as they journey
through their own dangerous and magical waste land
to find love.




No comments:

Post a Comment