I read a lot.
Like you, I'm sure. So, instead of writing a blog post on the books I read in 2013, I decided to write one featuring my top 6 reads of 2013. That I can remember. 2013 was a good year for books, and it looks like 2014 will be even better. So, here you go. In no order at all.
1) Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano - These chapter introductions were literally the most beautiful
words I read in 2013. I loved them, and the lyrical writing throughout this book.
2) The Lost Sun by Tessa Gratton - One of my very favorite writers. The writing was lush and gorgeous and I really loved the new ideas behind the story. I also loved that the novel is more a book of stories that are not said rather than those that are.
3) Just Between Us by J.H. Trumble - A story that needed to be written. Romantic and scary. I truly loved every word in this book, and eventually found myself in awe of the hope Trumble created throughout.
4) Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas - Honestly, I ate this book like I ate Harry Potter. Enough said.
5) The Book Theif by Markus Zusak - The story. The pictures. The words. I wasn't sure if I would like this one when I started it, but when I finished it a few days later I didn't want to leave. This is a story that stays with you, and I cried.
6) Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry - A book about zombies taught me what it means to be human. That alone is an amazing thing, but I also loved the story and the world Maberry created in this book. The entire series is excellent, but this first one is my favorite. Also, the ending of Dust & Decay, the second book in the series, killed me.
There you go! What were your favorite reads of 2013? What books are you looking forward to in 2014? I can't wait to read Andrew Smith's Grasshopper Jungle! Also, Ignite Me.